Oh my God! I'm a rage-aholic! I just can't live without rage-ahol!

Monday, July 18, 2005

Weekend edition on Monday.

Sometimes we have those days where no one wants to talk about anything serious. That's like every other day for me. Sure, I like my share of the raging argument, but at the end of the day, the factor by which I care about it goes down maybe a thousand. It's a flaw of human nature, I know. If it doesn't affect us, we take advantage of it. Still, we can't live life in apprehension for big, scary, doomy things to happen.

So yay. Let's talk about movies. Movies, movies, movies.

I see on average, about two movies a week (in theaters). The past weekend, I saw two movies which were considerably good in comparison to some of the other crud that has come out.

First of all, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory lived up to hype. It lived up and then some. Take your kids to see it. Take your grandmother to see it. Hell, take everyone to see it. I'm so serious. It's a must-see. For one thing, I was surprised that the child actors were so good. They were some of the most impressive children I've seen on the big screen in a long time. They certainly beat the pulp out of Dakota "creepy" Fanning. It's undeniable that Tim Burton has a child-like magical quality to him which at the same time is strangely eery. If you liked the original a whole lot, this may be a little sacrilegous. The music is subpar compared to the first one, a whole subplot was added, some quirky plot twists were removed, but at the end of the film, you can't help but love it just because it was so undoubtedly funny and well-made.

Willy Wonka: Everything here is eatable. I'm eatable, but that, my children, is called cannibalism and it is frowned upon in most societies.

The second movie I saw... Well, that's sort of a long story. Brian's parents wanted us to see something with them (and his brother). At first they picked Me and You and Everyone We Know, but Brian was uncomfortable seeing a movie about sex with his parents. So we decided to go see Wedding Crashers. Yep. Big freaking mistake. I should have seen this one coming, right? It was a good movie. Hilarious. But picking Wedding Crashers when you don't want to see sexual content with your parents? What are we, idiots?

Wedding Crashers, definitely don't bring your kids to see that one. In fact, don't bring anyone who isn't mature to see it. You might get the wrong idea (since most movies give you that wrong idea anyway, even movies made for adolescents like The Fantastic Four) that life is about doing dumbass stuff to get Maxim models to sleep with you. I'd advise the viewer to brace himself for some seriously messed up and borderline offensive shit (i.e. the phrase "just the tip"). I swear though, it was incredibly funny and eventually heartwarming. It's like the chick-flick for chicks who can appreciate a good dose of stupid-guy-humor. It's a stupid-guy-humor piece for guys who have more to them than horniness and stupidity. Oh yeah. Don't see it with your parents.