Oh my God! I'm a rage-aholic! I just can't live without rage-ahol!

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Being a "Scrub"

It is Tuesday night once again. I have just aced my organic chemistry final. One more exam to worry about: electromagnetism. Speaking of electromagnetism, back to Tuesday night primetime television. Where is Scrubs? Where is it, I demand! Some network bastards have replaced it with a very special Law & Order crossover. So, I settle for Sex and the City, where Carrie the Moron (a story for another day) snarkily refers to Mikhail Baryshnikov as "The Russian."

Despite the little entertainment faux pas, I still highly prefer Scrubs to Sex and the City. The magic of it all is the novelty of a doctor sitcom. I believe the last doctor sitcom was Doogie Howser, an artifact, really. My recent search of doc shows revealed a list by The Student Doctor Network which, by the way, did not include Scrubs. Let's look at the list, shall we?

ER (NBC)
Old school doctor show. The classic and the most successful, perhaps even the most realistic, but does little to give me optimism. Plus, Noah Wyle got so old and disheveled looking.

Strong Medicine (Lifetime)
See last post.

Doc (PAX)
Who watches PAX? I'm not even sure I know what PAX is. The Christian network?

Nip/Tuck (FX)
If this is about doctors, then Sex and the City is about journalism. Also another topic for another day.

The Residents (Discovery Health)
Resident Life (Discovery/TLC)
Trauma - Life in the ER (Discovery Health)
Kingdom Hospital (NBC?)
Critical Hour (Discovery Health)
All of the above: What?

Dr 90210 (E!)
The Real World version of Nip Tuck. It's more of a makeover show than anything else.

Doogie Howser
I have no idea. Quite honestly, it's before my time.

Chicago Hope
USC Medical
Super Surgery

Add to the list of What?

Where's General Hospital (not that I've seen it)?

Although I know Scrubs is extremely unrealistic, it gives me some hope for the future when I will being doing grueling studies and sleeping minimally. Why can't doctorism really be like Zach Braff playing practical jokes? Because being a doctor is serious, serious work. Maybe that's why doctor shows are so seldom funny or fun. However, TV doesn't fail to point out the circus which is law (see James Spader, a.k.a. Alan Shore).

Others: Grey's Anatomy, House. Medicine is sexy?

Take my advice: Scrubs is the only way we will ever remove our ingrained fear of sterile needles, germy waiting rooms, and death. Perhaps then my future won't look so grim.

And to end like Carrie "Bad-Writer" Bradshaw: Should I end my piece with a stupid question now?